Monday, December 15, 2014

Shyness and Close Encounters





Hello cat lovers. I’m Jasmine, the female Snow Lynx Bengal. The three of us had a discussion recently and we all agreed that no one cat should be writing this blog all of the time. Even Keaton admitted that he was being selfish and maybe a little arrogant. So here goes.

I’m the only one of us that was not rescued, but purchased. I was born into a house with young children and paid little attention to. Let me correct that. I was paid lots of attention, but not necessarily good attention. That affected my behavior deeply. When I moved into my new home, my new owners didn’t quite know what to think about my behavior. They’d try to pet me and reach out to me, but every time I’d either shy away or run! It took Annette over a year for her to get me relaxed enough to let her pick me up. Today I even crawl into her lap, when I’m in the mood. I still rarely let Don touch me. They think that the man of the previous home had something to do with it. I’m not saying.

The point is all pets will react to how they’re treated. Bengals are quite high strung and reactive. It takes us a long time to get used to people and we require patience. We’re also more athletic and agile than your common house cat. We aren’t the breed of cat for everyone, so if you’re looking for a cat as a pet and have little patience I suggest you get a more common breed.

The other night I almost jumped out of my skin! Bristol, the female Bull Mastiff and I get along great! We even nuzzle each other. Roscoe, the male, is another story. Annette and Don have been letting him in the house over night. He’s kept in an indoor kennel. Usually when they let him in, we all jump to high places or go upstairs. It’s gated off. When our owners think we’re safe they’ll let him out for awhile. He always stalks around looking for us.

This particular night they went through the same routine. When Annette checked the house she didn’t realize that I was still downstairs on the bottom shelf of the entertainment center. When she let Roscoe out, he found me right away and trapped me. I was scared as a cat! LOL Luckily Annette picked me up and Don put him back. I don’t think they let him out for the rest of the night.

Here’s a little advice about pets in general. If you already have pets in the house and want a different kind of pet in the family, introduce them to each other, slowly. Let them realize that they both are part of the family and not to be harmed. That way, you’ll have a well balanced family and a home of contentment. Christmas is right around the corner. Order your scented candles now or download the new novel Borough Hall-Conversion. Have a great week! Jazzy #Bengals #petCats #ILOVEBengals #candles #books

No comments:

Post a Comment